Family Friendly Itinerary
Something fun for everyone in the family
The key to a successful family vacation is choosing a destination where there is something available for everyone to enjoy. The wider the age range (if traveling with two or three generations), the more options you may want to consider.
Portsmouth and the Seacoast is a perfect family destination with many activities to choose from – and most are within easy walking distance so that everyone in your party can find exactly what they want – from cruises to kayaking, and historic walking tours to the Children’s Museum.
Here are some ideas for your family visit to the Seacoast!
- Board the M/V Thomas Laighton at the Isles of Shoals Steamship Company for your tour to Star Island, where you can explore the sea gull breeding grounds and the many island pathways through historic building and markers.
- Cruise aboard the family-friendly Gundalow, a 70-foot flat bottomed sailboat, where the crew will share their knowledge about marine life and sailing.
- Take a narrated historical tour of Portsmouth Harbor aboard the Heritage with Portsmouth Harbor Cruises.
- Perfect beach day? Break out your swimsuits and sunscreen for a fun-filled day at one of the many beaches from southern Maine through the 18 miles of New Hampshire sea shore.
- Hampton Beach Center has a wide variety of entertainment including beachwear shopping and arcade games.
- Water Country Water Park is a “huge, kid-friendly aquatic playground with themed pools, an adventure river, dining & slides galore.”
- Taste the award-winning Anabelle’s Natural Ice Cream, tucked alongside the Portsmouth waterfront. This favorite spot has been offering homemade rich, creamy and loaded with treats ice cream since 1982.
- Prescott Park Arts Festival produces amazing live theater for children of all ages on the outdoor stage overlooking the Piscataqua River. People plan vacations around the Prescott Park Arts Festival calendar – check it out!
- Monkey Mind Escape Rooms , great for adventures for groups of friends, family gatherings, date night, birthday parties and more.
- Head to York’s Wild Kingdom, located in nearby York Beach, Maine, which has something to offer every member of the family. Family rides, paddle boats, miniature golf course, a petting zoo, scenic picnic grounds, concession stands, two gift shops, and even a Haunted House.
- Take a guided historic walking tour with a knowledgeable guide.
- Explore the U.S.S. Albacore on a guided tour of one of the most advanced U.S. Navy submarines built before atomic submarines.
- Children’s games from days of old are a highlight at the Strawbery Banke Museum, an authentic 10-acre outdoor history museum, bringing almost 400 years of American history to life.
- The Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point State Park offers interactive and educational programs on the natural and environmental history of New Hampshire’s seacoast. Include time to explore the beautiful coastal trails. It wouldn’t be summer on the Seacoast without enjoying a picnic and great music at Music-by-the-Sea concerts.
- For interactive exhibits plan on a 10-minute drive into Dover, NH to spend the afternoon at the Children’s Museum of New Hampshire.
- Experience Portsmouth and the Seacoast by bicycle with a historical bike tour.