Is there a grocery store or pharmacy in downtown Portsmouth?
No – you will need to drive a mile or so outside of the downtown area to 1600 Woodbury Avenue (Shaw’s Supermarket) or 800 Islington Street (Hannaford).
Are there whale watches out of Portsmouth?
There are no whale watching tours out of Portsmouth, but Seafari Charters departs from nearby Kittery, Maine. The harbor cruises out of Portsmouth head out past the lighthouses to the Isles of Shoals and it is not uncommon to see whales and seals along the way.
How do I access the free Wi-Fi in downtown Portsmouth?
Wireless “hotspots,” with FREE public internet access, are located in Market Square, downtown Portsmouth, and Prescott Park. If you have a Wi-Fi-ready laptop, PDA, etc. with a wireless Ethernet card installed, simply:
- Open your browser; most newer systems, including Mac OS X and Windows XP, will automatically “grab” the signal.
If you have trouble logging on:
- Go into your Control Panel
- Manually select the SSID “eCoast Wi-Fi” and set your encryption to “off.”
- You will see the eCoast Technology Roundtable / Greater Portsmouth Chamber “Welcome” screen pop up in your browser.
- After you’ve taken our short user survey, you’ll get your Internet access password.
Please note: this is a community resource established for the convenience of all, so please apply common courtesy rules. There are no guarantees or warranties, explicit or implied, and you provide your own technical support.
Where are the beaches?
New Hampshire’s coastline is only 18 miles from Massachusetts to Maine – the smallest in the country, but we make up in quality for what we don’t have in quantity. Some of our beaches have been named among the top five cleanest water beaches in the country! See a comprehensive list of beaches here.